Senior Creative Director
Capital One, Labs, R&D
NY, DC, RVA - June 2015 to present
· Lead design on innovation teams with digital financial tools and physical products. From research, strategy and rapid prototype to test and learn. Ask me about what it was like picking up a Dan Makoski project, and how Elements/Canvas led us to create the Card Design Studio.
Library of Congress, Web Services
Washington, DC - February 2009 to 2015
· Lead a close-nit team of multi-disciplinary designers (UX, research, UI, animation, video) to transform the Library's enormously complex and aging web properties, by championing core concepts such as "finding" and "sharing".
· Establish user experience guidelines and visual design standards for LOC.gov web site, mobile and social networking properties, championing best practices such as responsive and modular design templates.
· Lead the design (UX and Art Direction) of a complex template system and global navigation paradigm showing rationales and user specifications, annotated screens and component designs.
UX Manager, Senior Art Director, Information Architect
DC, New York and Miami - 2005 to 2009
· Transportation Security Administration (TSA) - Collaborate and co-author a 2-year online strategy for TSA; co-lead a complete redesign of TSA.gov to launch in 2009. Work including site assessment, web strategy, turning user research findings into information architecture and site structure; lead visual design, definition, and documentation in a comprehensive style guide.
· Citibank - Lead online creative team for two business units of Citibank. Author, oversee creative strategy, concepts, messaging hierarchy, and rationales for all creative, including online (primarily) and offline advertising/marketing programs. Identify and define creative advertising/marketing solutions for a saturated lending market. Frequent client contact and travel.
· Library of Congress - Lead design and production of offline materials for high-end print production for the Library of Congress, co-author business case with project management, lead user research to understand user behavior, translate findings into business needs and user scenarios for 3 key visitor groups.
· US Treasury/Federal Reserve Bank of NY - Develop a comprehensive and scalable visual design system for their main auction application, including a detailed 100+ page style guide for developers, including wire frames. Conduct requirements-gathering workshops with clients, and apply user experience methods.
Creative Strategist, Senior Art Director (Consultant)
Six Degrees Inc.
Chicago - 2004 to 2005
· Lead creative strategy and design of integrated marketing campaigns including trade show booth, national trade and consumer advertising and direct mail campaigns.
· Lead creative strategy and design for a mobile gaming company’s category debut, including in-store POS materials and graphically mapping the internal go-to-market process for a major electronics retailer.
Clients served: Washburn Guitars, Parker, Eden, Oscar Schmidt and Randall brands, RadioShack, JAMDAT Mobile, Aladdin Software Security
UX Prototype Designer, Contract
Chicago - 2004
· Collaborate with strategy team on user research insights and synthesize into concept prototypes for testing. Work as part of a team to identify innovative solutions for a financial services client by meeting user needs to capture and retain market share.
· Prototypes were customized for different target groups depending on life stage and personal assets, and were used to identify user process and information flow.
Creative Services Manager
Sirius Satellite Radio
New York City - 2002 to 2003
· Start up and lead creative marcom initiatives, online and offline, including national and retail campaigns (B2B, B2C) and special events. Implement existing brand guidelines as well as define new approaches to the brand.
· Preparing for launch in 2002, manage web team throughout the development of the new web site. Maintain website integrity and usability.
· Manage, hire and mentor creatives to support all marcom efforts, including online and offline. · Corporate ID refresh, including redesign the Sirius logo mark. Hire, manage, coordinate and guide full-time and freelance staff to create all communications from concept to completion.
Art Director, Advertising
New York City, Washington, DC
Earle Palmer Brown Advertising
New York City, Washington, DC
Morand Sabatino & Day Advertising
· Lead concept, art and design on national communications campaigns including print advertising, marketing and collateral. Collaborate with copywriters and account teams to craft the most impactful messages for our clients, as well as consumers.
· Translate client brand strategy into compelling concepts for communication as national print advertising campaigns, collateral, TV and in-store graphics. Collaborate with creatives and account team. Guide clients through the creative process and to make sound decisions. Motivate follow-through from concept to implementation, including design, photography, art, negotiations with vendors, press checks.
Clients served: Tumi Luggage, Champion Sportswear, Blue Cross/Blue Shield, KEYSPAN Energy, WorldCom, Novartis, Marriott, Atlantic Luggage, Sprint PCS, LEXIS/NEXIS, Ethyl Corporation, G&L Guitars, Simon Business School, Novartis, Sofitel Hotels
Master of Design, MDes
Human-Centered Design Planning
Institute of Design, IIT, Chicago, IL
Bachelor of Fine Arts, BFA
Virginia Commonweath Univ, VCU, Richmond, VA
Mac/PC proficient (Mac preferred), expert in Adobe Creative Suite and most Microsoft application software, and old fashioned, hand-drawn comps for quick iterating, sketching concepts to prototype.
Advertising Age Encyclopedia of Advertising
Lürzer’s International Archive Magazine